Oops!!I want to thank Steve Simpson for letting me know about a 2013 Global Leadership Pulse Survey, that reports while most organisational leaders say it is important for employees to trust them, however, more than 65% of employees rate their level of trust in their leaders as moderate at best.

If these statistics were valid across the majority of Australian private and public companies, it paints a pretty grim picture about the negative impact this would be having on productivity.

When trust is at risk, the speed of completing any work task (whether in a team or by individuals) slows down because of the ‘protectionist’ strategies and tactics that are a direct outcome of dis-trust (disengaged trust) in the workplace.

When trust is at risk, the amount of rework that is required increases because a direct impact of dis-trust in the workplace is a lack of commitment, a lack of listening, a lack of understanding and a lack of work-role engagement.

When trust is at risk, the amount of blame and politics that take place increase, which again has a direct and negative impact on the speed, accuracy and success of any task being undertaken.

While the good news from the report is that 35% of employees rate their level of trust in their leaders as high, what the report doesn’t cover is the impact on that 35% of employees being able to do their work successfully because of the lack of trust in the leadership team by the other 65% of employees. This can potentially mean that those who do have high levels of trust for their leaders, may overtime, have their own beliefs and levels of engagement eroded by those who distrust the leaders.

Just like negativity breeds negativity, distrust breeds distrust.

This report (and thanks again Steve for highlighting it for me) provides even more evidence that we are in the midst of a global tipping point of trust.

Toward the end of the 1980’s and early 1990’s ethics and codes of conduct were highlighted as being a necessary part of business… and while I believe they still play an important part of any corporate direction, branding and delivery of service to their clients and returns to their shareholders, what’s lacking obviously, is the trust in leadership to ensure those codes of conduct/ethics are honoured, valued and practised by all leaders and employees.

Just more evidence that trust is not something we can take for granted because when trust is at risk… everything is at risk.

My ‘Building Intentional Trust’ masterclass series helps leaders and their teams create working cultures to be proud of, and steps them through a blueprint on how to clearly define intention, promises, actions and results for all stakeholders in any business.

If you’d like to learn more about my Building Intentional Trust masterclass series, call our office in Sydney on 02 9529 6201 or click here to email me to set up a time for an appointment.